Governor Jim Hogg City Park and RV Park
This beautiful 27-acre city park is named for James Stephen Hogg, the first native-born Governor of Texas who served 1891 - 1895.
It is home to the Quitman Arboretum and Botanical Gardens, and three museums: The Stinson House, The Honeymoon Cottage, and the Ima Hogg Museum.
The Stinson House where Hogg and his wife, Sallie Stinson, were married in 1874. The house was originally located at another site, but was purchased by the governor’s daughter, Ima Hogg, and moved to the park in 1969.
The Honeymoon Cottage Museum, the restored cottage where James and Sarah Ann Hogg spent their honeymoon, was also relocated to the park by Ima Hogg.
The Ima Hogg Museum, built in 1969, serves as park headquarters and features displays on the history of Quitman and Wood County.
The historical park was first opened in 1941 by the Wood County Old Settlers Association as Quitman City Park. In 1946, the group turned over seventeen acres to the state and the park was renamed The Governor Hogg Shrine State Historical Park, and an additional 4.74 acres was given by Ima Hogg in 1970. An additional three acres was later purchased for the park. In 2007, the State of Texas sold the park to the City of Quitman, and it was renamed to the present Governor Jim Hogg City Park and RV Park.
Enjoy the .5-mile nature walk that begins at a turn-of-the-century pony-truss bridge. Kids can have fun at the playground, basketball court and splash pad areas.
Don’t miss the Old Settlers Reunion that has taken place each August since 1902 under the legendary pavilion.
There are 20 back-in campsites with electric/water/cable TV with a dump station and pet area. Located in Quitman on State Hwy 37, 1 /2 mile south of the Wood County Courthouse.
Correspondence: City of Quitman, P.O. Box 1855, Quitman TX, 75783. Phone 903-763-2223.