GOVERNOR JIM HOGG CITY PARK
Hogg City Park is a 26.7-acre park. Original acreage was
deeded by the Wood County Old Settlers Reunion
Association in 1946; additional acres were a gift from
Miss Ima Hogg in 1970; and earlier some acreage was
purchased. The park was opened in 1950. Named for James
Stephen Hogg, the state's first Texas-born governor from
1891 to 1895.
The Park also is home to the Stinson Home
which was built in 1869 and moved 13 miles to its
present location in the park in 1969. The structure
contains 95 - 97% of the original lumber. The Honeymoon
Cottage is also located in the park, which was the first
home of Governor and Sallie Hogg (Sarah Ann Leannah
Stinson). The Old George Bridge was first put to use in
the early 1900s and was moved to the park in 1986. The
bridge is a pony truss, steel bridge, which is no longer
used by bridge builders. There is also a walking
trail and gardens in the rear area of the park, which is
maintained by the Friends of the Arboretum.
Facilities include; group picnic
sites; two group pavilions (one
referred to as the tabernacle); restrooms
without showers; a playground; and a
1/2-mile nature/interpretive trail (Old
Settlers Nature Trail, and a
turn-of-the-century iron bridge.
There are 19 trailer sites (30/50 amp
service) at the park with water, electricity, sewer,
and cable TV. Call 903/763-4411 for reservations.
Reservations are required for the covered picnic site,
concrete picnic table area and tabernacle.
additional permit may be necessary for large events
involving the general public (such as fund-raisers,
performances, or meetings.) - please contact City Hall
at 903/763-2223 for more information.
Arboretum and Botanical Gardens